Monday, August 26, 2013

I knew I wanted to be a teacher when...

I knew I wanted to be a teacher when... I was showing a group of 4th grade students chemistry demonstrations with my professor Maria Dean. I felt the students get excited after each demonstration and I was rewarded with their “ooohs” and “ahhhs.” I wanted to keep them enthralled with the chemical reactions but we ran out of demonstrations. In that moment I wanted to know more about chemistry so that I could entertain and educate the young minds in front of me.


My best memory about learning is...when my 8th grade science teacher captivated his students with a demonstration to start off class each day. Mr. Adams was a brilliant teacher and would have the attention of a full classroom at the start of the bell. Each day he would start class with an explosion or another experiment. Then he would ask the students questions about their observations. The students were engaged immediately and full of excitement. I learned a lot from Mr. Adams because I was fully engaged, even my classmates were engaged, there was no one to distract my attention from science.

The legacy I hope to leave is...one of a positive engaging experience for my students. I want my students to be excited to learn but I also want them to be curious. I want to indulge my students by the stories of science in everyday life. I want to persuade them to be curious and ask questions about the food they are eating and the water they are drinking. I want my students to think critically. If none of those things are received by my students I at least want to be a role-model for my students. 

3 comments:

  1. DeAnna-

    I was really interested in the legacy you hope to leave. It really made me think about how I will engage my students. I am sure you will achieve all of the things you want to achieve as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DeAnna,

    I believe that one of the most rewarding experiences that we can experience as a future educator comes in those "light bulb" moments. I have always felt a very strong emotion when a student gets the point that I am trying to make or becomes amazed with the content that is being taught. It's the little moments where a student exclaims, "wow" or "cool" that makes the teaching profession seem so appealing and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DeAnna,

    When reading your post, it was fascinating to see how much each of these questions related to one another. Your love for chemistry and the excitement you find in it will make you a fantastic teacher. I am looking forward to hearing about all of the exciting chemistry stories!

    Elise

    ReplyDelete