Today we had an early dismissal. Five classes of students, the biggest class in the chemistry department had 34 students. The freshman students were lost but there faces were priceless. I had one female student approach me with a disgusted look on her face, “excuse me, but they signed me up for weightlifting, I didn’t sign up for that.” My response was, “maybe you should try it, weightlifting is actually really fun, you may find you like it.” Then my co-operating teacher came over to talk to us and supported my statement by encouraging the student to try out her weightlifting class. I also had to take a student to the main office to get an ID card and I learned he was dual enrolled because he was homeschool until today. I felt anxious for him. All of the students were nice the first day and my co-operating teacher said, “the students are all well behaved because they’re too scared at the moment. They won’t test the waters until next week.” So this week we started discussing classroom management- which she would discuss with the class tomorrow. During the chemistry class periods we stood up and filed around the desks in a circular formation and shared our name and something we did today or during the summer that involved chemistry or science. The students had a fun time with it and the game ended up taking the whole 30 minutes that we were allowed for each period. In earth science we gave the students a different rock/mineral and had the students describe the rock with 3 adjectives and include one fact that the student had in common with the rock. Another thing that I learned today was that the students involved in student senate do not have a 7th period because that is when student senate meets. Therefore most students involved in student senate enroll in an early bird course which begins at 7:15am. My teacher said, “our biggest challenge is going to be having full attendance in the early bird course.” Following school hours we had our first student teaching seminar and it felt relieving to know that my fellow colleagues shared the same anxieties. I felt very supported by my fellow student teachers and the professors so I will be looking forward to the next seminar.
Tuesday, September 3, 2013
V-DAY!
Aug. 27th- Tuesday - First Day of School
Today we had an early dismissal. Five classes of students, the biggest class in the chemistry department had 34 students. The freshman students were lost but there faces were priceless. I had one female student approach me with a disgusted look on her face, “excuse me, but they signed me up for weightlifting, I didn’t sign up for that.” My response was, “maybe you should try it, weightlifting is actually really fun, you may find you like it.” Then my co-operating teacher came over to talk to us and supported my statement by encouraging the student to try out her weightlifting class. I also had to take a student to the main office to get an ID card and I learned he was dual enrolled because he was homeschool until today. I felt anxious for him. All of the students were nice the first day and my co-operating teacher said, “the students are all well behaved because they’re too scared at the moment. They won’t test the waters until next week.” So this week we started discussing classroom management- which she would discuss with the class tomorrow. During the chemistry class periods we stood up and filed around the desks in a circular formation and shared our name and something we did today or during the summer that involved chemistry or science. The students had a fun time with it and the game ended up taking the whole 30 minutes that we were allowed for each period. In earth science we gave the students a different rock/mineral and had the students describe the rock with 3 adjectives and include one fact that the student had in common with the rock. Another thing that I learned today was that the students involved in student senate do not have a 7th period because that is when student senate meets. Therefore most students involved in student senate enroll in an early bird course which begins at 7:15am. My teacher said, “our biggest challenge is going to be having full attendance in the early bird course.” Following school hours we had our first student teaching seminar and it felt relieving to know that my fellow colleagues shared the same anxieties. I felt very supported by my fellow student teachers and the professors so I will be looking forward to the next seminar.
Today we had an early dismissal. Five classes of students, the biggest class in the chemistry department had 34 students. The freshman students were lost but there faces were priceless. I had one female student approach me with a disgusted look on her face, “excuse me, but they signed me up for weightlifting, I didn’t sign up for that.” My response was, “maybe you should try it, weightlifting is actually really fun, you may find you like it.” Then my co-operating teacher came over to talk to us and supported my statement by encouraging the student to try out her weightlifting class. I also had to take a student to the main office to get an ID card and I learned he was dual enrolled because he was homeschool until today. I felt anxious for him. All of the students were nice the first day and my co-operating teacher said, “the students are all well behaved because they’re too scared at the moment. They won’t test the waters until next week.” So this week we started discussing classroom management- which she would discuss with the class tomorrow. During the chemistry class periods we stood up and filed around the desks in a circular formation and shared our name and something we did today or during the summer that involved chemistry or science. The students had a fun time with it and the game ended up taking the whole 30 minutes that we were allowed for each period. In earth science we gave the students a different rock/mineral and had the students describe the rock with 3 adjectives and include one fact that the student had in common with the rock. Another thing that I learned today was that the students involved in student senate do not have a 7th period because that is when student senate meets. Therefore most students involved in student senate enroll in an early bird course which begins at 7:15am. My teacher said, “our biggest challenge is going to be having full attendance in the early bird course.” Following school hours we had our first student teaching seminar and it felt relieving to know that my fellow colleagues shared the same anxieties. I felt very supported by my fellow student teachers and the professors so I will be looking forward to the next seminar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment