Sunday, November 10, 2013

Standard 3: Instructional Planning

The practitioner plans instruction based upon knowledge of subject matter, students, the community, curriculum goals, and state curriculum models. 


Today we continued reading strategies in 5th hour. All of the students put up a debate about completing the work. Alot of students argued with me and said that I lied to them because on Friday I said it was the only day we would be doing reading strategies. What I meant to communicate was that we were only reading strategies during the class period Friday. I didn’t mean that we wouldn’t keep reading them on another day, I just meant that we wouldn’t be doing two different activities during class on Friday. After explaining myself I apologized to my students for the miscommunication and then gave them a list of the agenda. I told them that we need to complete reading strategies 4-6 and the review, then we can take a break from the readings strategies and begin a new unit. After explaining that schedule most students settled down but some kept up the fight. I feel as if they were on a sugar high from the past halloween weekend. I don’t know if they ate some candy before they came to school, but normally they are tired in the morning and very compliant, not as hyper. 
After yesterday’s experience with reading strategies, I found some clips on youtube that pertained to the passage. Today we were reading 3 passages. One was about the trojan war so I asked the class who knew about the trojan war. Only two kids raised their hand, TJ and Logan. I asked them both to explain what they knew and they had conflicting views, so I picked apart their views and told the class which were true. Then I explained the two armies involved in the war and how the war started. Then I showed a clip from the movie Troy. The clip started with the Greek gift of the trojan horse and how the Trojans accept the gift and bring it into their city. The class got to see the walls that the Trojan army had built and how the Greeks came out of the trojan horse at night. This clip was helpful because the students were interested in watching. They were intrigued from Logan and TJ’s discussion and wanted to know more. After the clip we read the passage and answered the 3 questions following. There were only 3 questions, but the clip was only 2 minutes and saved me from an argument with the students. Instead of arguing we were discussing the Trojan war and most of the students were interested. The next passage we read was about the Olympian runner, Wilma Rudolph. I had never heard of her before so I googled her and found a clip of her winning the olympic gold medal in the 100m and 200m race. I decided we could watch the clip after reading the passage since the passage addressed her training during high school. After reading the passage and answering the questions we watched the clip and the class got very excited to see her win her races. This gave me some insight that the students really liked watching sports. We had about two minutes before class ended so I decided to show the class the x-games clip I found that pertained to the passage we read yesterday. The passage talked about sky-surfing so I was able to find the gold medalist jump of sky surfing and the students found it pretty cool. 


No comments:

Post a Comment