Differentiated Instruction: the teacher assess the student's needs through a pre-survey, observation, or personality test, etc. and uses the data from assessments to design future lesson plans and provide the students with the tools they need to be challenged.
As a science teacher, inquiry based learning is ideal because the students are interested and curious to inquire multiple experiments. This is the ideal situation in a science classroom, questions are presented to students and their answers are challenged. The students are encouraged to defend and provide evidence for their reasoning. The students are being challenged through “inquiry-based learning” because the teacher is constantly using formative assessment in class discussion, small groups, lab, etc.
In a secondary classroom, I think it is very important to design diagnostic assessment. Each class has certain expectations and benchmarks that should have been mastered before the succeeding class. I think a diagnostic assessment would help refresh the students but also help the teacher design lesson plans to review such information that is not clear. As a student, if a vocabulary term that I didn’t understand was used during class I got confused and lost interest in the subject. If the teacher can make such review lessons or worksheets to raise students to the same level, I think more students will be engaged and retain the information.
The students need to feel challenged in order to be intrigued by the assignment. Through inquiry-based learning the students’ statements were being questioned. But if a student responds to questions with “I don’t know” then the student needs more tools. The teacher needs to assess what concept the student feels comfortable explaining. When I was observing Ms. Ramakers’s Chemistry 1st block class I kept receiving “I don’t know” in response to my questions. The class was reviewing “net-ionic equations” in small groups and one student was struggling to understand the question. In order to assess the student’s content level, I started asking high-order questions. When the response was “I don’t know” I started asking questions that pertained to the previous lesson that the student’s already “mastered.” The student then started to respond to those answers. After finding which level the student was on I started to shape my next questions. This example in Ms. Ramaekers’s class reminds me of the importance of assessment as Wormeli has discussed; if a student is going to be assessed, the results need to be considered and direct the design of future lesson plans.
I think that differentiated instruction improves the student’s understanding of the material and helps the student’s learning develop. Through differentiated instruction the teacher provides the students with the tools they need in order to be challenged effectively. From my experience as a student, I have learned that I need to be challenged in order to be intrigued by the assignment. But in order to be challenged effectively the teacher has to have a firm understanding of the student’s needs. In order to assess each student’s needs a pre-survey could be administered to gather data about the student’s diagnostic level, content level, personality, tracking of progress, immediate feedback, etc. These methods would be ideal to gather data about a student, but only if the results were observed and used to direct future lesson plans. The teacher needs to commit to differentiated instruction before these methods are employed.
No comments:
Post a Comment